Ms. Arig Ali, Partner, specializes in the Corporate practice, Mergers & Acquisitions and Capital Markets. With over 18 years of experience acquired in both Egypt and the UK, selected examples of the transactions she has taken part in include:
- Advising Actis LLP, a global pan-emerging market private equity firm, in: (i) US$ 244 million acquisition of 9.33% of the issued share capital of the Commercial International Bank (2009); (ii) US$ 102 million investment in Edita Food Industries (2013); (iii) acquisition of a minority stake in Integrated Diagnostic Holdings (2014); and the sale of Emerging Market Payment (2016).
- Leading the team carrying out the full- fledged legal due diligence over Orascom Hotels & Development SAE and 58 of its Egyptian subsidiaries to enable the company to carry out all the necessary corporate actions for its restructuring in preparation for its public offering (2014).
- Co-leading the team advising Raya Contact Centre on its successful listing with the Egyptian Stock Exchange and the public and private offering of its shares (including the international offering).
- Leading the acquisition of ARGO EGYPT PLASTICS S.A.E by ALPLA WERKE ALWIN LEHNER GmbH & Co KG (Alpla) - a leading Austrian packaging company. She also led Alpla’s acquisition ofTaba Group (2016).
- Leading the team working on restructuring the assets owned by the third generation of one of the renowned Egyptian families and assisting the international counsel in the creation of a family office offshore.
- Advising the Egyptian Ministry of Finance on the design, construction, finance and operation of the 6th of October Wastewater Treatment Plant PPP Project (A project that was later cancelled by the Government).
- Advising the Egyptian Ministry of Finance in conjunction with KPMG on the design, financing, construction and operation of the secondary treatment stage for Abo Rawash wastewater treatment plant PPP Project and the operation and maintenance of the existing primary treatment facilities (Due to the 2011 Revolution, the project was put on hold by the Government and then it was re-launched).
- Advising the International Finance Corporation on the New Alexandria University Hospitals PPP Project (2012 and 2013)
- Advising the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in relation to the provision of a feasibility study related to the possibility of carrying out Phase 4 of the Cairo Contact Center Park in accordance with the provisions of the PPP Law No. 67/2010 (2013)
- Acting as lead assistant to the team acting as local counsel to Exim-Bank and the commercial lenders in relation to the financing and guarantee of a 2,000 metric tons per day of anhydrous ammonia plant to be constructed in a free zone near Suez.
- Advising the IFC on the possible security package for an electricity project to be established by a public business sector type of companies. Ms. Ali also conducted a critical assessment of the sub-sovereign financing possibilities within the infrastructure sector in Egypt for the EBRD.
Ms. Ali was ranked by IFLR1000 as “Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer” in the practices of Capital Markets, Project Development, and M&A (2018, 2019, and 2020). She had been ranked as “Leading Lawyer” in the Financial and Corporate practice (2017) and as “Rising Star” (2016). She was ranked by the Legal 500 as “Leading Individual” in the Commercial, Corporate, and M&A practice (2019), had been recommended in this practice in 2017 and 2018 and was recognized as a Rising Star in 2016. She was also ranked by Chambers and Partners as Band 3 Lawyer in the Corporate / M&A practice in 2020 and as “Up and Coming” Lawyer in the Corporate / M&A practice in 2019.
She obtained her Maîtrise in law from Université Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne, France, a license in law from Cairo University, her post graduate diploma in law and the legal practice course from BPP Law School and her Masters of Laws from Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law. Ms. Ali is the Head of the Legal Committee of the Chambre de Commerce Française en Egypte. She is proficient in Arabic, her mother tongue, English and French. Ms. Ali joined ZH&P in 2013 from an international law firm.
In addition to her qualification as an English solicitor before the Supreme Court of England and Wales (since 2009), she is also admitted before the Egyptian Bar Association (currently admitted before the Court of Appeal).
"Key partner Arig Ali is 'a strong leader'". The LEGAL 500 – Commercial, Corporate and M&A, 2020
"Arig Ali advises across the full gamut of capital markets and M&A, with clients disclosing that they ‘really appreciate her understanding of the regulatory environment.' One market source further commended her as a 'commercial and adaptable lawyer’ who has 'a deep relationship with regulators and government bodies, which is critical for non-standard transactions.'" Chambers and Partners Global Reviews (Corporate / M&A), 2020
"Arig Ali and Helal El Hossary are advising private equity funds, including Actis and BPE Capital Partners, on major corporate investments". The LEGAL 500 – Commercial, Corporate and M&A, 2019
"Arig Ali gains recognition from peers and clients alike. One client enthused: "She's very responsive and accessible," while another remarked that "the quality of her work was amazing." She acted for HP on the Egyptian aspects of its global acquisition of Samsung's printer business". Chambers and Partners Global Reviews (Corporate / M&A), 2019
"Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law’s team is 'among the best in the market'. Hala Hashem and the 'responsive and dedicated' Arig Ali are other key names". The LEGAL 500 – Commercial, Corporate and M&A, 2018
"Excellent and commercial." IFLR1000 Reviews (Client Feedback), 2020
"Extremely dedicated and hard working. As an English lawyer, Arig was essential in assisting us getting the SHAs and SPAs and navigated through the Egyptian law issues." IFLR1000 Reviews (Client Feedback), 2020
"Very responsive". IFLR1000 Reviews (Client Feedback), 2019
"[Arig Ali] Very professional, social competence, negotiation strength, well-educated and deep knowledge, committed to the project". IFLR1000 Reviews, 2018
"Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law is 'a trustworthy partner' and has a deep bench that includes Yasser Hashem and Hala Hashem. Arig Ali and Achraf El Chazly are also recommended and recently advised private equity firm Actis on the $350m sale of its stake in Emerging Market Payment, which included the negotiation of licensing requirements. Misr Cement Qena, Austrian company ALPLA and Beltone Financial Holding are also clients". The LEGAL 500, 2017
"Arig Ali [is] ‘master of due diligence, documentation and negotiation". The LEGAL 500, 2016