Mr. Sameh Kamal, Partner, joined ZH&P in 2012 moving from an international law firm. He masters in-depth knowledge and practical experience in corporate, commercial, financial transactions and related securities, banks settlements, incorporation of companies, securitization, securities lending, investment management, private equity, mutual funds, leveraged acquisition, and project finance transactions. He also has a solid track record of successful cooperation with governmental entities, authorities, and public companies in relation to sovereign backed transactions as well as with private entities.
Prior to joining ZH&P in 2012, Mr. Kamal undertook advising an international investor on all aspects relating to a wastewater project in a developing community through the PPP scheme. He also advised several clients in relation to the legal aspects of the Tender Law - including bidding and transacting with government agencies. He had further advised an international consortium with respect to bidding for the third mobile license in Egypt. Additionally, Mr. Kamal was a member of the French-based Onyx team handling and negotiating a major long-term solid waste disposal contract with the Governorate of Alexandria.
Recently, Mr. Kamal advised an investor on all legal aspects of financing a major project established through a BOT system in Egypt as well as counseling on and negotiating the FDIC-based construction agreement and financing agreement. Mr. Kamal also advised an international bank on all legal aspects related to providing finance to a sovereign backed company - including all required securities and corporate authorizations. His recent professional experience also includes advising a leading Egyptian bank on all aspects of a leveraged acquisition transaction involving the acquisition of real estate projects through a settlement arrangement and booking such projects on the books of a joint venture structure via leveraged acquisition.
With over 20 years of experience, recent examples of the matters he has taken part in include:
- Acting as Sole Local Egyptian Counsel to the Consortium of British investors in ECHEM’s USD 8 billion Al Alamein Petrochemical Project.(2020)
- Acting as the Egyptian Legal Advisor to Harbin Electric International Co., Ltd. is China’s leading large-scale enterprise in power project contracting and export of power equipment on its anticipated Clean Coal Fired Power Plant Project.(2020)
- Advising on the liquidation and acting as the liquidator of two energy companies incorporated for the sake of participation in the Feed-in-Tariff Round 1 (2020).
- Advising RATP DEV on the Operation & Maintenance of Line 3 of Cairo Metro with the concerned public authority (the National Authority for Tunnels). (2020)
- Acting as an independent legal counsel to a number of Al-Kharafi group companies on all legal aspects regarding the assignment of the management, operation, and maintenance of utilities located on land under the administrative jurisdiction of the General Authority for Tourism Development, and related handover arrangements (2020).
- Acting as an independent legal counsel to a number of Al Kharafi group companies on all legal aspects regarding the co-operation of developing a joint touristic project located on land under the administrative jurisdiction of the General Authority for Tourism Development (2020).
- Acting as an independent legal counsel for both Madinet Nasr for Housing and Development (MNHD) (a listed company on the Egyptian Exchange) and one of the leading Egyptian banks in relation to the financing of a power substation project for its mega Sarai project, including all related licenses and permits, securities, guarantees, and escrow arrangements (2020)
- Advising Madinet Nasr for Housing and Development (MNHD) (a listed company on the Egyptian Exchange) on all aspects of a syndicated financing for the construction of a mega residential project located at the Suez road. (2020)
- As part of the Systra Consortium, advising the Government of Egypt on the Engineering, design & Procurement (EPC), Operation & Maintenance of the High Speed High Speed Railway Project connecting Ain Sokhna to New Alamein City. (Aborted, 2020)
- Representing the International Finance Corporation (IFC) in supporting the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company in the design and implementation of Egypt’s first solar auction program - 2019
- Advising El Sewedy Electric Company in the Joint Venture with The Arab Contractors Company within Tanzania’s Rufiji Hydropower Project – 2019
- Advising Infinity-e on the Anticipated Implementation of Public Charging Stations for Electric Vehicles in Cooperation with Several Developers in Egypt – 2018
- Advising KIMA on the syndicated facility agreement with several Egyptian local banks towards the Project Financing of a New Major Nitrogen Fertilizer Plant in the City of Aswan - 2018
- Advising Middle East Oil Refinery (MIDOR) on the project financing for the modernization, upgrade and expansion of a new refinery - 2018
- Advising on the Sovereign Backed Financing of Power Stations in Burullus, New Capital, and Beni Suef - Deutsche Bank, HSBC Middle East Limited and other lenders (group of leading financial institutions) – 2015/2016
- Providing legal services to ENGIE’s 250MW Windfarm Project in the Gulf of Suez – 2016
- Advising on the financing of 6 Electric Transmission Substations in Egypt – 2016
- Advising on the financing of the supply, installation and commissioning of a 4,400MW Combined Cycle Power Plant in Beni Suef - 2016
Mr. Sameh Kamal was ranked by IFLR1000 as “Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer” in the practices of Capital Markets and Banking for the year 2020 and as “Rising Star Leading Lawyer” for the years 2018 and 2019. In 2020, Mr. Kamal also ranked as “Leading Individual” by the LEGAL 500 in the practice of Banking and Finance, while also landing the “Next Generation Partner” rank in the Energy practice. He was ranked as “Next Generation Lawyer” in the practices of Energy and Banking & Finance for the years 2018 and 2019 - and in Banking & Finance for the year 2017. In 2021, he was ranked by Chambers and Partners as Band 2 Lawyer in Projects & Energy.
He is member of the Egyptian Bar Association since 1999 and has been admitted before the Egyptian Courts of Appeal since 2007. He is proficient in Arabic and English.
Mr. Kamal achieved the LL.B. from Cairo University’s Faculty of Law in 1999 and the LL.M. in Banking and Finance from Boston University School of Law in 2003 - followed by a legal internship program at Van Bael & Bellis LLP in Brussels, Belgium.
"Sameh Kamal is described by clients as a" highly responsive" lawyer who is "commercial and practical in how he approaches things." He advises on conventional and renewable energy projects of all types. One commentator adds that "his experience in infrastructure projects is also impressive." Chambers and Partners – Projects & Energy, 2021
"Project finance partner Sameh Kamal is a key name in the market." The LEGAL 500 – Banking & Finance, 2020
"The practice, which is led by head of oil and gas Sameh Khodeir, projects partner Mohammed Gomaa and project finance partner Sameh Kamal, is also heavily involved in the financing and public law aspects of renewable power projects." The LEGAL 500 – Energy, 2020
"Zaki Hashem & Partners, Attorneys at Law has a vastly experienced partner team in practice head Sameh Khodeir, Essam Taha and Sameh Kamal." The LEGAL 500 – Energy, 2019
"… Sameh Kamal is also recommended." The LEGAL 500 - Energy, 2018
"Sameh Kamal is very well experienced and his command of legal knowledge in capital markets and finance matters navigates him safely through difficult negotiations. He is always available and adopts a solution oriented approach." IFLR1000 Client Reviews, 2020
"Sameh is very dynamic and always available; he was a great added value to the team working on our most recent transaction." IFLR1000 Client Reviews, 2020
"Competent lawyer, reactive." IFLR1000 Client Reviews, 2020
"He has a good understanding and can properly manage his team." IFLR1000 Client Reviews, 2019
"Sameh [Kamal] has been quite supportive and accessible throughout our dealings with him. He consistently showed good understanding of the issues to be resolved and took a pragmatic approach to deal with them." IFLR1000 Client Reviews, 2018