Mr. Yasser Hashem is the Managing Partner of ZH&P since 1996 - having previously been a Partner since 1989. The legal skills he has extended to the privatization of public sector entities and to the inception of the private provisions of telecom services in Egypt - and the promulgation of its laws - has placed him as a valued veteran of the legal practice in Egypt. Combining a wide range of extensive legal knowledge with honed networking and interpersonal skills, Mr. Hashem protects and furthers the interest of over 100 local and international clients.
With a special focus on the practice of Corporate Law, Mr. Hashem has supported the privatization programme of public sector entities in Egypt through hundreds of restructurings, incorporations of foreign and domestic companies and advising foreign and local investors on the most efficient vehicles and structures for implementing their investment in Egypt.
As related to the fields of M&A and capital markets, he has reliably represented acquirers in all major tender offers and M&A transactions in Egypt and has led the largest four major multibillion US dollars M&A transactions in Egypt post the January 2011 Revolution, namely:
- Advised Qatar National Bank on its successful US$ 2.6 billion acquisition of National Société Générale Bank - (2013);
- Advised OCI N.V. - the Netherlands based global nitrogen fertilizer producer - in successfully acquiring Orascom Construction Industries - the biggest listed company in EGX - through a combined cash and stock tender offer for an approximate amount of US$ 7.5 billion (2013);
- Advised France Telecom (Orange) - one of the leading network operators for mobile, broadband internet and fixed line - on its successful US$ 3 billion 100% acquisition of Mobinil and one of the largest post revolution acquisition transactions in the telecommunication sector (2012); and
- Advised Electrolux - a global leader in household and professional use appliances - on its successful US$ 500 million acquisition of Olympic Group (2011).
Additionally, he played a major role in most of the Initial Public Offerings (IPO’s) which took place in Egypt throughout the last decade, examples of which include:
- IPO of MTI Group (MM Group) with a transaction value of EGP 719,928,000.
- IPO of Orascom Construction Limited, the first foreign company to perform dual listing in the Egyptian market in form of shares in 20 years. The value of the transaction was approx. USD 185.4 million.
- IPO of Juhayna - the first IPO to take place since the year 2008. The value of the IPO was USD 206 million.
- IPO and GDRs of Palm Hills Development. The value of the transaction was USD 343 million.
- IPO of Maridive & Oil Services. The value of the transaction was USD 261.5 million.
- IPO of GB Auto with an IPO market value of approximately of EGP 1.2 billion.
- IPO of Arafa Group. The value of the transaction was approximately USD 92 million.
- IPO and GDRs of Talaat Mostafa Group. The value of the transaction was USD 823 million.
Selected relevant examples of Debt Capital Market matters that Mr. Hashem has overseen include:
- The Arab Republic of Egypt US$ 1.5 billion Global Medium Term Note Program and the first issuance by Egypt of sovereign notes under Regulation S and Rule 144A. This Project has won the award for Sub-Investment Grade Bond/Sukuk Deal of the Year category in the Bonds, Loans and Sukuk 2015 Awards.
- The issuance of asset-backed securitization bonds by Corporate Leasing Company Egypt S.A.E (CORPLEASE) in 2014, 2015 and 2016 for an overall value of EGP 802 million, EGP 867 million and EGP 1 billion, respectively.
- Capital increase for Electrolux Egypt for Home Appliances S.A.E.
- Capital increase and conversion of capital for Orascom for Projects and Touristic Developments S.A.E.
Mr. Hashem’s legal skills were also extended to the telecommunication sector in Egypt through advising on the most significant telecommunications licenses and M&A transactions in Egypt. The legal services he has extended to this sector include the acquisition and mandatory tender offers of telecommunication companies as well as supporting bidding consortia on a number of mobile and fixed wireless license bids. He has contributed in the drafting and negotiation of all major telecom licenses including public payphones, mobile cellular networks, private data networks, satellite and marine fiber optic cabling, etc. He has also led the team acting for the largest post revolution acquisition transactions in the telecommunication sector in 2012 and advised Orange (one of the leading network operators for mobile, broadband internet and fixed line) in its successful 100% acquisition of Mobinil for approximately US$ 3 billion. Mr. Hashem’s expertise in the telecom sector has led to his appointment by Ministerial Decree as Member of the New Telecommunications Act Drafting Committee.
He was ranked by The LEGAL 500 as Leading Lawyer for the years 2016, 2017, and 2018 and his name figures in The LEGAL 500’s Hall of Fame for having been recognized for seven consecutive years. He was also ranked by IFLR1000 as “Leading Lawyer” in the Financial and Corporate Practice for the years 2016, 2017 and 2018 – and as Highly Regarded Leading Lawyer in Banking, Capital markets, and M&A for the year 2019. Mr. Hashem was ranked by Chambers and Partners Global as “Band 1” Lawyer in the Corporate / M&A practice and the Banking & Finance practice for the years 2017 and 2018. His initial ranking by Chambers and Partners dates back to the year 2000.
Mr. Hashem has received the LL.B. from Cairo University in 1989. He was admitted before the Egyptian Court of Cassation in 2007 and is a member of the Egyptian Society of International Law and the Licensing Executive Society. He is fluent in Arabic, English, and German.