Mr. Essam Taha, Of Counsel, has accumulated over 33 years of experience in the legalities of upstream exploration & production of oil & gas, rig rental contracts, drilling contracts, gas sales agreements, sale and purchase agreements, seismic survey contracts, service contracts, joint operating agreements, farm-in & farm-out agreements, consortium agreements, consultancy agreements, lifting contracts, marketing contracts, joint venture companies, by-laws, employment contracts and dispute settlement, electricity (power purchase agreements, transmission agreements, distribution agreements, etc.), mergers & acquisitions, requests for proposals, and other types of contracts and legal due diligences.
Having joined ZH&P in 2005, selected recent examples of the matters he has contributed to include:
- Advising Middle East Oil Refinery (MIDOR) on its USD 1.2 billion Modernization, Upgrade and Expansion of a New Refinery. (2019)
- Extending Legal Support to RAKTA regarding the EUR 10.5 million Tender for Rehabilitation of Machinery. (2019)
- Advising The Egyptian Chemical Industries Company (KIMA) on the finalization of the EPC Contract for the expansion of its ca. USD 100 Million Fertilizer Complex Project in Aswan. (2019)
- Advising the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company in its EPC Contract with the Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) in the Egyptian-Saudi Linkage Project. (2018)
- Lease to Purchase an artificial lifting system for an oil field and for providing operating & maintenance services. (2016)
- Declaration of force majeure, amending the term of a petroleum exploration and exploitation concession agreement. (2016)
- Obtaining and registration of three concession agreements in the Western Desert of Egypt. (2016)
Mr. Taha’s professional track-record holds appointments in significant positions such as having been the Legal Advisor to H.E. the Minister of Electricity of the Sultanate of Oman, as well as having been the Senior Lawyer for EGPC’s Petroleum Agreements Department and having participated in negotiating and drafting over 25 petroleum production sharing agreements and over 10 gas sales agreements.
He is member of the Egyptian Bar Association, was admitted before the Egyptian Supreme Court in 2006, and is a member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators. He is proficient in Arabic and English.
Mr. Taha achieved the LL.B. from the University Mansoura’s Faculty of Law in 1986.
“Zaki Hashem & Partners has a vastly experienced partner team in practice head Sameh Khodeir, Essam Taha and Sameh Kamal. The practice advised BNP Paribas on financing agreements with the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company, and assisted Engie with a wind farm project in the Gulf of Suez”. The LEGAL 500 – Energy, 2019